Google+ Badge

Sunday, 24 May 2015

Carrot and broccoli falafels

This is quick to make, as I made them and cooked them before the (packet) fish fingers for the boys, and (homemade) chips were cooked.
I wanted to try an online recipe of Jack Munroe's for falafels that's slightly different to the one in her book that I tried. I changed the ingredients slightly - reduce or leave out the dried chilli flakes if you don't like them - and barely modified the method she used. Although I really enjoyed them as I made them, less chilli would let the herbs come through. When my coriander decides to grow I'll make it again with coriander! I used chilli oil because I have it in, but sunflower oil would do the job fine.
I put broccoli in because I didn't have quite enough carrot and have a handy bag of broccoli in the freezer. I will definitely do that again, it was really good. Spinach and broccoli might work as long as the spinach isn't too watery.
Ingredients
70g sliced carrots
5 frozen broccoli florets
400g canned chickpeas
1 tbsp of cumin
Handful of marjoram
1tsp of oregano
1tsp chilli flakes
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp water
1tbsp chilli oil
(Makes 14)
Method
Bring the chickpeas, sliced carrots and broccoli to the boil in a saucepan of water, and reduce to a simmer. Simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes until very soft.
Strip the oregano off the stalks, and remove the marjoram from the bigger stalks. Chop finely and add to a cup along with the cumin and chilli.
When the chickpeas and carrots are very soft, remove from the heat. Add 2tbsp of the cooking water to the spice mix, then drain the chickpeas and tip into the mixing bowl. Mash well with a masher until a soft pulpy mixture is formed.
Add the flour, and shape into balls using 2 dessert spoons (didn't fancy touching the hot mixture).
Add the oil to a large non stick frying pan, and pop the falafels in on a medium heat.
As with the pancake recipe, add them in a clockwise direction. Then, when the first one looks golden brown underneath you know to start turning them over (in order).
Remove from the heat and serve, covering leftovers and storing in the fridge to have another day.
Serve with natural yoghurt* to dip in as a snack, pop any extras into the fridge for snacking on, pop into a pitta bread with salad leaves and natural yoghurt or chutney for a portable, delicious lunch.
Would be very good with roasted carrot hummus too! 
*or baked beans and chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment