Google+ Badge

Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Roasted carrot hummus

I was rereading the 5:2 recipe book by Kate Harrison for some inspiration on lower calorie meals and warmer weather friendly lunches. I can't quite face doing 5:2 again at the moment - did I mention the chronic lack of sleep issue? - but thought I'd go back to boring old calorie counting. It does work, I just get bored. In it there's a recipe for roasted squash hummus with some good strong flavours to keep you interested in your good-for-you food.

I know I've already said I'm inspired by Jack Munroe's approach to cooking, and that I'm loving her recipe books. In one of them she has a cheap recipe for hummus which is great, and a search on her blog reveals some good replacements for 'fancy pants ingredients' that you don't really need. I'm a sucker for them, but completely resent spending upwards of £2 for a jar of tahini paste just for the odd bit of homemade hummus when I can be bothered to make it. I have got a jar of sumac which I've used once so I've put it in the hummus too, to justify having it! I have a large collection of spices and do use most of them, honest!

I had a big bag of carrots in the fridge so replaced the squash with the carrots, and the tahini with peanut butter. My peanut butter is homemade (see here for recipe). I'm not sure mine came out as it was supposed to but I'm the only one in the house who eats it so I don't care!

I parboiled 600g of carrot wedges and roasted them in 1tbsp hot oil until they were soft. We ate 1/3 of them with dinner last night and I had to hide the rest of them from Wonder Boy so he didn't eat them all. What kind of parent hides vegetables from children?!

Ingredients
400g carrots (raw)
2tsp oil
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2tsp peanut butter
1tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, smashed with a large knife and a bit of salt
1 roasted red pepper (I still have that jar knocking about the fridge)
Concentrated lemon juice to taste (you could use juice of half a lemon I just don't have any at the moment)

Method
Chuck it all in the food processor and press go! You could use a stick blender or a potato masher/ricer, just make sure you chop the garlic very finely.

No comments:

Post a Comment