Google+ Badge

Sunday, 7 June 2015

Aubergine focaccia

I had a courgette bread recipe I wanted to try out, but the courgettes were so ridiculously expensive I decided to adapt the recipe and use aubergines! Having changed the original courgette recipe so much that I made it my own, I thought it would be a good opportunity to have a go at joining the bread challenge hosted alternately by Jen's Food and Utterly Scrummy Food for Families - this month by Jen.


Focaccia dough
Add the following ingredients to your breadmaker in the order that works for your machine - my Panasonic says add the yeast first, then flours, dry ingredients and finally the water. Set it to the quickest dough setting - mine is pizza.

You don't need to use a breadmaker of course, I just find it very convenient!

350g wholemeal strong flour
250g plain flour
1tsp salt
1.5tsp easy-blend (active) dried yeast
1 aubergine, grated
1tbsp vegetable oil
160ml water
*1tbsp sumac
*1tsp paprika
*100g feta, crumbled

When the dough has finished, turn out into a large oiled bowl and leave to prove (rise) for about an hour.

Split the dough in half, and put one half back in the bowl and cover ready to use in the rolled pizza recipe.

*Next time, I will sprinkle the spices and feta on top of the dough after mixing as I didn't find the flavours really stood out when they were mixed in with the dough.

Individual Focaccia Breads


Knead the dough on a well floured surface until smooth.
Split the dough into 4 pieces and roll out into an oblong.
Slice a tomato and place on the top of the raw dough.
Drizzle with chilli oil.

Cook in a hot oven - about 180*C - for 15 minutes until golden brown.
This will freeze well.

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried baking bread with aubergine before, great idea subbing it for the courgette, looks like it kept the bread lovely and soft. Thanks for joining in with Bready Steady Go :)

    ReplyDelete