Google+ Badge

Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Roasted Rhubarb

We have a fair bit of rhubarb down the allotment at the moment. I've made sorbet, syrup, compote and picnic cake already this year. What to do with the past-its-best rhubarb that's hanging around the kitchen?

I spotted the BBC Good Food recipe for
Rhubarb and custard cake and thought that would work well (my turn to bake a cake for the church cafe next week). I tried the roasted rhubarb recipe linked to it as it was so simple and needed so few ingredients! I also prefer roasting rhubarb to stewng it as it keeps its shape and doesn't go mushy.

Several other recipes call for orange zest or juice, and some for fresh ginger; all of which work well and none of which I have available at 6.30am in the morning! This one is just rhubarb and sugar, and I guess any flavour can be added later in cakes or when stirred into yoghurt or porridge.

Ingredients
1200g rhubarb, washed and cut into chunks
150g sugar

Method
Combine the rhubarb and sugar in a roasting tin, and give it a shake to spread the sugar out.

Cover in foil.

Roast in a hot oven (200°C) for 25 minutes or so until soft.

Leave in tin to cool.

I'll use a third of the recipe for the Rhubarb and custard cake and keep the rest in the fridge. If it's too tart for your taste just add more sugar or honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment