Google+ Badge

Tuesday, 21 July 2015

Egg yolk cookies

I was in the middle of making these whilst attempting my Dad to start Slimming World. #irony

This is not a SW friendly recipe (unless you count the syns)!

I made a pavlova on the weekend and I'd saved the yolks as I can't stand waste. I'd left them in the fridge uncovered so they were drying out a little but they mixed in fine. I'd also been given a previously melted chocolate bar which I chopped up for the chocolate chips. The recipe would probably work with 2 medium whole eggs too but haven't tried that so don't quote me on it!

Normally I'd freeze around half the dough (in ready to bake balls) but I was baking cookies for an end of term party - the staff will definitely eat them! Maybe they should be called 'Thanks for everything cookies'!

I used my Kenwood but you could make this by hand with a bit of elbow grease.

If you want a darker more chocolatey cookie, increase the cocoa and reduce the flour accordingly (up to 260g flour/50g cocoa). You could always use dark chocolate chips, or even white chocolate and no cocoa.

Ingredients
250g butter
300g sugar
2tbsp treacle
1tsp vanilla essence
4 egg yolks
300g plain flour
10g cocoa
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2tsp salt
190g chocolate chips

Method
Cream the butter, sugar, vanilla essence and treacle together until light and fluffy.

Beat in the egg yolks.

Mix the remaining ingredients together in a separate bowl (not the chocolate).

Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until it combines into a soft dough.

Add the chocolate and mix on a slow speed until the chocolate's evenly mixed.

Chill for about half an hour to make the dough easier to handle.

Use a dessert spoon to measure out the dough and shape into a ball - you should get around 48 dsp sized balls.

Bake in a hot oven - about 180°C - for 10-15mins until just starting to colour around the edges. (Leave them for too long and they won't be chewy.)

No idea how long they keep for - not likely to be any left by the end of the day though!

No comments:

Post a Comment